Re: RFC: Implement hwpoison on free for soft offlining

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 04:50:23 EST

Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Here's a somewhat experimental patch to improve soft offlining
> in hwpoison, but allowing hwpoison on free for not directly
> freeable page types. It should work for nearly all
> left over page types that get eventually freed, so this makes
> soft offlining nearly universal. The only non handleable page
> types are now pages that never get freed.
>
> Drawback: It needs an additional page flag. Cannot set hwpoison
> directly because that would not be "soft" and cause errors.
>
> Since the flags are scarce on 32bit I only enabled it on 64bit.
>
> Comments?

I got a couple of positive comments and reviews and no negative comments.

So I assume noone has a problem with using up a 64bit page flag
for this. I plan to push this into linux-next after some delay
and then prepare it for merge later.

If there are any objections please speak up now.

Thanks,
-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.