Re: x86_64 2.6.35.* kernels and Intel Xeon X5550

From: Marc Aurele La France
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 22:42:39 EST

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Marc Aurele La France wrote:

I administer a cluster composed of a mixture of various Opteron models and Intel Xeon X5550's. The 2.6.34.*, and prior, kernels run fine on all of them. The 2.6.35 series also runs fine on the Opterons, but not on the Xeon's. All of these are CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU kernels.

On the Xeon's, 2.6.35 hangs early on, upon the first test of trace events (in kernel/trace/trace_events.c:event_trace_self_tests()). When disabling all tracing, debugging, etc., it still hangs but slightly later. The megaraid_sas module is loaded, detects the adapter, but never gets around to registering it with the SCSI layer.

Core2-specific kernels also hang the same way, as do UP kernels. I've tried backing out certain commits that seemed likely candidates, but have yet to stumble upon the one (or more) that is causing this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

This is due to "CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=y". "m" or "n", the hang doesn't occur.

Of the kernels I've tested, INTEL_IDLE first appears in 2.6.34-git15. So, technically, this is not a regression against 2.6.34.

This does, however, amount to a vote of non-confidence against intel_idle.c.

Marc.

| Marc Aurele La France | work: 1-780-492-9310 |
| Academic Information and | fax: 1-780-492-1729 |
| Communications Technologies | email: tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| 352 General Services Building +----------------------------------+
| University of Alberta | |
| Edmonton, Alberta | Standard disclaimers apply |
| T6G 2H1 | |
| CANADA | |