Re: x86_64 2.6.35.* kernels and Intel Xeon X5550

From: Marc Aurele La France
Date: Mon Oct 18 2010 - 16:49:04 EST

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Len Brown wrote:

On the Xeon's, 2.6.35 hangs early on, upon the first test of trace events
(in kernel/trace/trace_events.c:event_trace_self_tests()). When disabling
all tracing, debugging, etc., it still hangs but slightly later. The
megaraid_sas module is loaded, detects the adapter, but never gets around to
registering it with the SCSI layer.

This is due to "CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=y".

Please file a bug report at bugzilla.kernel.org and assign it to me.

Please reproduce using an upstream 2.6.36-rc8 kernel.

Boot a CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=n kernel and to the bug report...

attach the output from acpidump
'cat /proc/cpuinfo'
'grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpuidle/*/*'
'lspci'

Then boot a CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=y kernel and see what is the highest N that
boots when you boot with "intel_idle.max_cstate=N" (0 will disable
the driver completely) and if any of them boot, for the highest N,
attach to the bug report the complete dmesg and the output from
'grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpuidle/*/*'

thanks,
-Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technology Center

Done. However, due to finger-checks BZ won't let me correct, you'll need to ignore the initial descriptions of the attachments. Look at "[details]" instead.

Marc.

| Marc Aurele La France | work: 1-780-492-9310 |
| Academic Information and | fax: 1-780-492-1729 |
| Communications Technologies | email: tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| 352 General Services Building +----------------------------------+
| University of Alberta | |
| Edmonton, Alberta | Standard disclaimers apply |
| T6G 2H1 | |
| CANADA | |