Re: PATCH [0/4] perf: clean-up of power events API

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 09:52:13 EST

* Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/19/2010 4:52 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >* Peter Zijlstra<peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>Can we deprecate and eventually remove the old ones, or will we be forever obliged
> >>to carry the old ones too?
> >We most definitely want to deprecate and remove the old ones - but we want to give
> >instrumentation software some migration time for that.
> >
> >Jean, Arjan, what would be a feasible and practical deprecation period for that? One
> >kernel cycle?
>
> more like a year
>
> for some time software needs to support both, especially if popular distros stick
> to an older kernel like *cough* RHEL6

Sure, you can support both. But as long as support for the _new_ events is included
in PowerTop there's no need to keep the duality upstream. Running ancient PowerTop
on fresh kernels is not common.

An old RHEL kernel will still keep on working as you can keep support for old events
in PowerTop as long as you wish to.

The new kernel also wont 'overwrite' old events with new definitions in the future,
so PowerTop will keep working for as long as you want to support older kernels.

Does that sound good?

Thanks,

Ingo