Re: 2.6.36-ck1

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 06:59:13 EST

On 10/21/2010 04:08 AM, Con Kolivas wrote:
These are patches designed to improve system responsiveness and interactivity
with specific emphasis on the desktop, but suitable to any workload.

Apply to 2.6.36:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/ck/patches/2.6/2.6.36/2.6.36-ck1/patch-2.6.36-ck1.bz2

Thanks for updating your patches. Applied to Gentoo's 2.6.36 and works as advertised so far.

Those following the development of the patches for interactivity at massive
load, I have COMPLETELY DROPPED them as they introduce regressions at normal
workloads, and I cannot under any circumstances approve changes to improve
behaviour at ridiculous workloads which affect regular ones. I still see
precisely zero point at optimising for absurd workloads. Proving how many
un-niced jobs you can throw at your kernel compiles is not a measure of one's
prowess. It is just a mindless test.

I never felt the need for a "make -j256" on my Core2 Duo, so losing that "functionality" is of no consequence, at least here.