Re: Remaining BKL users, what to do

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 09:38:00 EST

On Thursday 21 October 2010, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 04:32:59PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > fs/freevxfs:
> > Uses the BKL in readdir and lookup, should be easy to fix. Christoph?
>
> Can simply be dropped. Ditto for ->put_super and the not yet done
> ->get_sb pushdown. It's a trivial read-only filesystem with no state
> of it's own.

Cool, thanks for looking at it. I'll add a patch to my series.

> > fs/hpfs:
> > Looks fixable, if anyone cares. Maybe it's time for retirement in
> > drivers/staging though. The web page only has a Link to the
> > linux-2.2 version.
>
> Di you ping Mikulas? He's not done too lately but at least ACKed a few
> patches.

He was on Cc on all these mails, maybe he got overwhelmed by the amount
of mail.

> > fs/ncpfs:
> > Should be fixable if Petr still cares about it. Otherwise suggest
> > moving to drivers/staging if there are no users left.
>
> Didn't he fix it recently?

Yes, see my update "[v2] Remaining BKL users, what to do". Note that the
mail you just replied to is a month old.

> > fs/qnx4:
> > Should be easy to fix, there are only a few places in the code that
> > use the BKL. Anders?
>
> Another trivial read-only fs. Can be trivially dropped.

ok.

> > fs/ufs:
> > Evgeniy Dushistov is maintaining this, I hope he can take care of
> > getting rid of the BKL in UFS.
>
> Did you ping him. Shouldn't be too hard despite your probably unfixable
> comment that somehow made it to linux-next.

He was on Cc as well. I'll update the comment and others that have become
obsolete now. I didn't realize that this was a read-only fs, which certainly
makes it easier.

Thanks,

Arnd