Re: [Patch] IBM Real-Time "SMI Free" mode driver -v7

From: Vernon Mauery
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 10:38:29 EST

On 21-Oct-2010 03:25 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 07:23:19AM -0700, Vernon Mauery wrote:
On 21-Oct-2010 02:54 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
Applied, thanks. It'd be nice if we didn't have to rely on DMI,
especially since enterprise customers often end up running later kernels

I am not sure what you mean here by problems with DMI running later
kernels.

Oops, sorry! I mean running on older kernels.

Do older kernels not have DMI support? I would think that if an enterprise distribution wanted this driver they would likely already have DMI support backported as well.

Or they can work with me to find a way that works in that kernel. I was thinking that in the current (and future) kernel, DMI was the best way to go.

- is there any other way to determine that this is safe to load? Could

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would allow us to
ensure that this is only loaded on IBM systems. DMI is pretty good
about that.

I'd suggest using DMI to verify that it's an IBM, and perhaps also using
DMI to check that it's a server or blade rather than a laptop or
desktop. After that you could just check the ebda rather than having to
have an entry for every specific machine.

I went for a better safe than sorry route. Before I added the DMI checking I had some reports of this getting loaded on non-IBM hardware and it came up with some nasty error messages. I figured since I knew exactly which platforms have support, I could just limit the driver to those. Then there is the force parameter that allows a user to ignore the DMI data and try to load the driver anyway.

--Vernon