Re: [Patch] IBM Real-Time "SMI Free" mode driver -v7

From: Vernon Mauery
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 11:09:39 EST

On 21-Oct-2010 03:42 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 07:38:21AM -0700, Vernon Mauery wrote:
On 21-Oct-2010 03:25 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
Oops, sorry! I mean running on older kernels.

Do older kernels not have DMI support? I would think that if an
enterprise distribution wanted this driver they would likely already
have DMI support backported as well.

I mean that they may run the current driver on newer hardware that isn't
in the DMI table, and that may be the only thing preventing it from
working.

I'd suggest using DMI to verify that it's an IBM, and perhaps also using
DMI to check that it's a server or blade rather than a laptop or
desktop. After that you could just check the ebda rather than having to
have an entry for every specific machine.

I went for a better safe than sorry route. Before I added the DMI
checking I had some reports of this getting loaded on non-IBM hardware
and it came up with some nasty error messages. I figured since I knew
exactly which platforms have support, I could just limit the driver to
those. Then there is the force parameter that allows a user to ignore
the DMI data and try to load the driver anyway.

It's preferable to have the driver be able to support future hardware
built to the same spec without having to add extra IDs. It's easy to
make sure that you're loading on an IBM server - are there any of these
that have the _RTL_ header but will break?

No, if it has the _RTL_ header it should be fine. I was more concerned about the driver trying to map the EBDA and reading through it on non-ibm platforms, so I guess just a check to see that it is IBM should be sufficient. Let me get a patch that does that.

--Vernon