Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH] sched: automated per tty task groups

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 13:32:52 EST

On 10/21, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 06:51 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * Mike Galbraith (efault@xxxxxx) wrote:
> > [...]
> > > +static void
> > > +autogroup_attach_tty(struct task_struct *p, struct task_group **tg)
> > > +{
> > > + struct tty_struct *tty = p->signal->tty;
> > > +
> > > + if (!tty)
> > > + return;
> > > +
> > > + *tg = p->signal->tty->tg;
> > > +}

minor nit, I think in theory this needs barrier(), or

struct tty_struct *tty = ACCESS_ONCE(p->signal->tty);

if (tty)
*tg = tty->tg;

> > > +static inline void
> > > +autogroup_check_attach(struct task_struct *p, struct task_group **tg)
> > > +{
> > > + if (!sysctl_sched_autogroup_enabled || *tg != &root_task_group ||
> > > + p->sched_class != &fair_sched_class)
> > > + return;
> > > +
> > > + rcu_read_lock();
> > > +
> > > + autogroup_attach_tty(p, tg);
> > > +
> > > + rcu_read_unlock();
> > > +}
> > > +
>
> > Meanwhile, a little question about locking here: how is
> > the read lock supposed to protect from p->signal (and p->signal->tty)
> > modifications ? What's the locking scheme here ? So maybe just simple
> > rcu_dereference are missing, or maybe the tsk->sighand->siglock might be
> > required. In all cases, I feel something is missing there.
>
> Oleg, could you comment?

No, I don't understand this ;) But I know nothig about task groups,
most probably this is OK.

It is not clear to me why do we need rcu_read_lock() and how it can help.
The tty can go away right after dereferencing signal->tty.

Even if the task doesn't exit, it (or its sub-thread) can do sys_setsid()
at any moment and free this tty. If any thread was moved to tty->sg, doesn't
this mean that, say, ->cfs_rq will point to the already freed tg->cfs_rq?

>From http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=128764874422614

+int sched_autogroup_handler(struct ctl_table *table, int write,
+ void __user *buffer, size_t *lenp, loff_t *ppos)
+{
+ struct task_struct *p, *t;
+ struct task_group *tg;
+ int ret = proc_dointvec_minmax(table, write, buffer, lenp, ppos);
+
+ if (ret || !write)
+ return ret;
+
+ for_each_process(p) {

Hmm. This needs rcu lock at least?

+ tg = task_group(p);

Why?

+ sched_move_task(p);
+ list_for_each_entry_rcu(t, &p->thread_group, thread_group) {
+ sched_move_task(t);
+ }
+ }

Looks like, you can just do