Re: On Linux numbering scheme

From: kevin granade
Date: Fri Oct 22 2010 - 12:52:09 EST

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Genes MailLists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/22/2010 06:41 AM, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Artem S. Tashkinov <t.artem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> What can you say about kernel 2.6.32? Almost nothing.
>>>
>>> What can you say about kernel 3.11.3? - it is the third release of
>>> Linux in 2011.
>>
>> And? What a useless information.
>>
>> BTW, it should be 3.2011.3, see Y2K.
>> --
>
>   If you -really- wanna go that route - may as well be
>
>      20.11.3.18

I think the reason day was excluded by previous suggestions is that
the current development model doesn't generate a "blessed" version on
anything close to a daily rate. Even if you wanted to incorporate the
-rcs or -next into this scheme, it seems like it'd be somewhat
problematic since the day field would drop in value during development
e.g.
20.11.3.18 = 2.6.37-rc1
20.11.3.25 = 2.6.37-rc2
20.11.4.2 = 2.6.36-rc3

3.<year>.<month>, and might help drive home the point that the version
number is "a point in development" rather than some kind of "indicator
of feature releases".

>    century.decade.month.day .. that way we don't have problem until we
> hit the year 10,000 ... :-)

Or until the New Galactic Calendar is introduced... ;)

Silliness aside, what are the deficiencies of the current numbering
that are being addressed here? The only things I can come up with
are, "major number is getting too big" and "development no longer
follows a major/minor feature based model, so the version numbering
scheme should reflect this". Are there any other reasons for a
change?

Kevin