Modification of initramfs built-in to vmlinux image

From: Piotr Piwko
Date: Sat Oct 23 2010 - 07:26:20 EST

Hello,

I currently work on an unconventional project which requires to make
some modifications of initramfs included in vmlinux object image. I
can successfully extract it and make the needed corrections of desired
initramfs, but I've met the problem to write it back to vmlinux image.
I try to modify the content of .init.ramfs section and relocate the
sections which are placed below. After these steps the sections map
seems to look ok, but unfortunately the new vmlinux causes a reset
during boot process.

Can I make this kind of modification on the final vmlinux object file?
Is it enough to change the content of .init.ramfs section? Maybe are
there some places or issues which I should take into consideration?

Thank you in advance for any hints or references,

--
Piotr Piwko
http://www.embedded-engineering.pl/