Re: 2.6.36, make oldconfig broken

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sun Oct 24 2010 - 01:13:42 EST

On Saturday, October 23, 2010, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>On 10/22/10 17:54, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> When I use your config-2.6.36.7 file on 2.6.36 and run 'make
>>> oldconfig',
>>
>> Correction, that config was from 2.6.35.7.
>>
>>> I don't see anything like changes in disk or graphics card drivers and
>>> I don't see 100 or more lines thrown away in the multimedia drivers.
>>>
>>> Did you use 'make oldconfig' or did you use that script that you have
>>> mentioned and posted in the past? Could it be causing problems?
>>
>> My script (buildit26) takes an old argument and a new argument, that
>> and any patch names needed are edited into it, not passed as
>> arguments, although I have thought of doing that, but as that can lead
>> to typu's getting past these old fingers, I don't trust me doing it
>> with live arguments. It copy's the old .configs to /tmp long enough
>> to unpack the new, then copy's them into the new tree. And they do a
>> make oldconfig after any patches have been applied.
>>
>> It hasn't been edited since I ran it, so I'll attach it. Maybe you can
>> see something I missed.
>
>Hi Gene,
>
>I don't understand the last few lines of buildit26 script:
>
>make oldconfig
>make mrproper
>make xconfig
>

>'make mrproper' is going to blow away the .config file that was just
>generated by 'make oldconfig'. 'make help' in the kernel top-level
>directory says (for mrproper):
>
> mrproper - Remove all generated files + config + various backup
>files
>
>then 'make xconfig' is basically going to give you a 'make defconfig', so
>yes, you would see lots of .config file differences from the previous
>kernel version.

Oops, damn, I think I just proved I have oldtimers.

I'll nuke that mrproper line then. It was the top stanza in the error log
generated by the failed dkms build that caused me to add it in the first
place.

In other words, an outright attack of dumbass on my part. Thanks for not
saying it that way. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)