Re: perf timechart segfault

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Oct 24 2010 - 13:03:54 EST

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 17:23:02 +0100
Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've run into a couple of issues using perf timechart:
>
> 1. (On 2.6.36) If I issue
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid
> as root before running
> perf timechart record echo
> as a normal user the following is printed:
>
> Fatal: Permission error - are you root?
> Consider tweaking /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid.
>
> Shouldn't it just say it needs root permissions for a timechart
> record?

timechart needs root perms since it gets very global data.

> 2. (On -tip) Running
> perf timechart record echo
> outputs
> invalid or unsupported event: 'power:power_start'
> Run 'perf list' for a list of valid events

tip broke ABI :-(
That's one for Ingo to deal with for now.

> 3. (On 2.6.36) I can't seem to convince timechart to ever capture more
> than 34000 samples. When trying to record using
> perf timechart record -fga sleep 10
> and then creating a graph using perf timechart, it only ever
> outputs a few seconds worth.

does this happen even without the "fga" ?
I've used timechart to capture a minute of data before
(but... you need a rather quiet system for that to be useful.... you
otherwise get an impossibly big SVG file)

visit http://www.lesswatts.org