Re: CFQ and dm-crypt

From: Jeff Moyer
Date: Mon Oct 25 2010 - 10:25:17 EST

Milan Broz <mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 10/25/2010 11:53 AM, Richard Kralovic wrote:
>
>> Do you think it is possible to handle this in device-mapper, without any
>> support from the cfq code?
>>
>> I also noticed that a solution for this problem was proposed a few years
>> ago by Hirokazu Takahashi (a patch for linux-2.6.25,
>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/22/193), but there was no response to it. Is
>> such an approach wrong?
>
> Not sure but it will be discussed now.
> There are more situations where the process id is lost because of other queue,
> a lot of new recent code (including internal thread in dm-core).

It would probably be helpful to CC Jens (which I did).

I haven't looked very deeply at the approach in the referenced mail
thread (though I did look far enough to tell that the aio bits were
wrong), but in general I think this sort of thing is worthwhile. I'm
not sure what the barriers are. Jens?

Cheers,
Jeff