Re: fyi: gcc33-hammer crashes when compiling kvm emulate.c

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 06:50:18 EST

On 10/26/2010 10:37 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
On 10/26/2010 01:27 PM, Andi Kleen wrote:
>> That is an issue too, as 3.x does a lot fewer optimizations than 4.x.
>
> Well to be fair the default -Os build disables most of the fancy stuff
> (and the resulting code is often terrible)
>
> I guess it doesn't matter too much, at least not with the
> CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_SIZE default.

Yes, it would be nice to have a setting which is "optimize but don't
bloat excessively."

Would be good to have __fastpath and __slowpath function attributes.

__fastpath would always be optimized for speed, __slowpath always for size, and everything else would use the default (determined by CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE).

Looks like gcc has support for this, with __attribute__((hot)), __attribute__((cold)), and __attribute__((optimize)).