Writing a console/tty driver -- how to use tty_port?

From: Timur Tabi
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 17:04:24 EST

Greg,

Do you have an updated version of Tiny TTY that uses tty_port structures? I'm
trying to write a new TTY driver for a device that is not a UART, and I'm having
a hard time finding a good example. I suspect I need to understand the tty_port
structure, but I can't find any documentation for it.

One specific problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how to get a
tty_struct pointer in my interrupt handler. The ISR gets called whenever there
is new input, and it needs to call tty_insert_flip_string(). But it appears
that it's possible to have my driver opened multiple times, each time creating a
new TTY. But since I can only have one interrupt handler, I don't know how to
determine which of the tty_structs to use. I figure tty_port is a way to
resolve this problem, but I don't know how to use it exactly.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale