Re: [bisected] Clocksource tsc unstable git

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Fri Oct 29 2010 - 04:18:52 EST

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 08:26:08PM +0200, markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> During my search for a reliable testcase I found out that kvm guests also
> showed random hangs (that didn't happen in v2.6.36) here. These hangs last a
> few seconds each, during which the mouse is not movable at all.
>
> So I ran git-bisect with this testcase and the result of the bisection is:
>
> 34f971f6f7988be4d014eec3e3526bee6d007ffa is the first bad commit
> commit 34f971f6f7988be4d014eec3e3526bee6d007ffa
> Author: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed Sep 22 13:53:15 2010 +0200

> Reverting the commit solves the kvm hang issue. (If this issue is
> related to my original tsc problem is of course open for debate, but I
> have a strong hunch it is.)

Well, what do you know, the temporary "slowdown" triggered on my setup
too. After waiting a minute maybe, the machine recovered and guess what
appeared in dmesg:

[44729.650859] Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -8615263009 ns)
[44729.656229] Switching to clocksource hpet

I've reverted the changeset above and will run without it to check
whether it makes any difference.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.