Re: 2.6.36 io bring the system to its knees

From: Dimitrios Apostolou
Date: Mon Nov 01 2010 - 16:25:11 EST

Hello,

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:51:32 +0800, Wu Fengguang wrote:
> It may also help to lower the dirty ratio.
>
> echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
>
> Memory pressure + heavy write can easily hurt responsiveness.
>
> - eats up to 20% (the default value for dirty_ratio) memory with dirty
> pages and hence increase the memory pressure and number of swap IO

My experience has been different with that. Wouldn't it make more sense
to _increase_ dirty_ratio (to 50 lets say) and at the same time decrease
dirty_background_ratio? That way writing to disk starts early, but the
related apps stall waiting for I/O only when dirty_ratio is reached.

Thanks,
Dimitris