Re: perf tools miscellaneous questions

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Wed Nov 03 2010 - 17:43:31 EST

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 08:28:59PM +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use perf-tools and also to learn some internals about
> them. So I prefer to ask all of them in one email.
>
> The first one is about the list of pre-defined events given by
> perf-list. I couldn't find any documentations that describes these
> events so excuse me if the question is stupid.

Sorry about that. We indeed need to improve a lot the documentation.
May be this particular part could come with the future sysfs exposure
of the events.

> What's the difference between 'cpu-clock' and 'task-clock' event ?

cpu-clock is based on the total time spent on the cpu. task-clock is
based only on the time spent on the profiled task, so that doesn't count
time spent on other tasks, it has a per thread granularity.

(I might be somehow wrong in my explanation).

> What's exactly the 'cache-misses' event ? does it include both instructions
> _and_ data cache misses ? both L1 and L2 caches ?
>
> I was expecting so but the following command makes me wondering:
>
> $ perf stat -e cache-misses:u,l1d-loads-misses:u true
> Performance counter stats for 'true':
>
> 763 cache-misses
> 874 L1-dcache-load-misses
>
> 0.000916609 seconds time elapsed
>
> Here cache-misses < L1-dcache-load-misses.

Dunno, will let others answer.

> The last question is about the source code annotation done by
> perf-report. I'm using it to locate the place in my code that generates
> the most data cache miss events. I can read this during a perf-report
> session:
>
> [...]
> 0.00 : df215: c3 retq
> 0.00 : df216: 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 nopw %cs:0x0(%rax,%rax,1)
> 0.00 : df21d: 00 00 00
> 10.00 : df220: 48 8b 75 00 mov 0x0(%rbp),%rsi
> 80.00 : df224: 48 89 df mov %rbx,%rdi
> 0.00 : df227: 41 ff d4 callq *%r12
> 0.00 : df22a: 85 c0 test %eax,%eax
> [...]
>
> If I read the output correctly, most of the dcache misses are coming from
> 'mov %rbx, %rdi', and AFAIK this intruction can't generate any dcache
> miss. What am I missing ?

Perhaps you need pebs to get the very precise location on your event.

perf stat -e cache-misses:up,l1d-loads-misses:up true

I think the more you add 'p', the more precise it is.
Like:

perf stat -e cache-misses:uppp,l1d-loads-misses:uppp true

Not sure how much it will accept though :)