Re: OOM when adding ipv6 route: How to make available more per-cpumemory?

From: Ben Greear
Date: Sat Nov 06 2010 - 13:09:08 EST

On 11/06/2010 12:26 AM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
Le vendredi 05 novembre 2010 Ã 17:07 -0700, Ben Greear a Ãcrit :

We just tried creating 1000 macvlans with IPv6 addrs on a 64-bit machine
with 12GB RAM. Only around 520 interfaces properly set their IPs, and
again there are errors about of-of-memory from 'ip', but no obvious
splats in dmesg.

'top' shows 10G or so free.

It will take some time to figure out what exactly is returning
the ENOMEM....

At least, nothing to do with percpu stuff ?

At least I don't see any percpu dumps in dmesg. I vaguely remember
someone posting some ipv6 address scalability patches some time back.
I think they had to hack on /proc fs as well. I'll see if I can
dig those up.

Make sure udev / hotplug is not the problem, if you create your devices
very fast.

We can create the macvlans w/out problem, though I'm sure that could
be sped up. The problem is when we try to add IPv6 addresses to
them.

Thanks,
Ben

--