Re: Q: perf_event && event->owner

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Nov 08 2010 - 15:41:29 EST

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 21:11 +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> Perhaps the real owner should be the task on which we attach our
> breakpoint.

No the point of event->owner is to point to the task that creates the
event, not the task we possibly attach it to (that should be reachable
through event->ctx->task).

As to removing event->owner as Oleg suggests, its a published ABI and
there might be people using it.

The use-case is a monitor thread wanting to stop all monitoring it
initiated, for example because its wants to synchronize various counters
attached to different tasks etc..