Re: [GPIO]implement sleeping GPIO chip removal

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Wed Nov 10 2010 - 16:07:33 EST

Can you please use a mail client which does proper line breaks at 78 ?

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Maciej Szmigiero wrote:
> You misunderstood me.

No, I didnt.

> By "looping in hope that somebody will finally release the chip" I
> meant the only real way to handle a GPIO chip unplugging in the
> current kernel. Which is way worse that preventing new requests,
> then waiting for existing one to be released. And this is exactly
> what my patch does.

That still does not make it a good solution.

> I understand that it could be simplified by removing redundant code
> (as Grant Likely had suggested before), and moving it to completion
> interface instead of manipulating a task structure directly, but
> this doesn't mean that the whole GPIO code has to be rewritten just
> to add one functionality.

It's not about rewriting, it's about fixing the problem in the right
way and not just hacking around it.

If we see a shortcoming like this, we fix it and do not magically work
around it.

Thanks,

tglx