Re: [FALSE ALARM] Re: HPET (?) related hangs and breakage in2.6.35,36

From: Roedel, Joerg
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 06:05:01 EST

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 01:50:31PM -0500, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 01:48:00PM -0500, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> > > Clocksource: tsc unstable (delta = -34355296774 ns)
> > > Switching: to clocksource hpet
> >
> > Please disregard -- this is a bug in nouveau (or drm) not hpet. I'll
> > send a bug report to the maintainers.
>
> Interesting! Joerg was complaining about similar symptoms with .36 today
> too.

The issue I have seen was on two boxes with 890FX chipset and Phenom II
X6 CPUs on a recent avi/master which was 2.6.36 + some kvm patches.

The problem was that the box became extremly sluggish and slow. I stated
dstat and it reported a lot of missed ticks. After some time the
clocksource tsc became unstable and the system became responsive again.
I have not yet investigated this further but can do any requested tests.

Joerg

--
AMD Operating System Research Center

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632