Re: [patch 1/6] fs: icache RCU free inodes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 23:49:23 EST

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So this is really not a "oh, maybe someone will see 10-20% slowdown", or even
> 1-2% slowdown.

You ignored my bigger issue: the _normal_ way - and the better way -
to handle these thingsis with SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU.

So what are the advantages of using the inferior approach? I really
don't see why you push the whole "free the damn things individually"
approach. We've had experience with that, and it's resulted in long
RCU queues with memory being held up in queuing etc (hopefully we've
improved on the queuing issues with RCU itself, but..)

So the thing is, SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU is just the RightThing(tm). Why fight it?

Linus