A possible flaw in the fsnotify design.

From: Alexey Zaytsev
Date: Mon Nov 15 2010 - 17:05:18 EST

Just some thoughts.

Consider the situation: Files A and B both point to the same inode.
File A is being watched, but the user won't get notifications if B is
modified.
This might be a problem for indexers, or, in my case, backup programs.
Even if the user is watching the mont point, he still needs to get all
the possible links to the modified file, and in my understanding,
there is no way to do this without scanning the whole filesystem.

I've got no idea how to fix the problem yet, or if it would be
possible to fix at all.