Re: gcc 4.5.1 / as 2.20.51.0.11 miscompiling drivers/char/i8k.c ?

From: Jeff Law
Date: Mon Nov 15 2010 - 17:59:56 EST

On 11/15/10 15:07, Richard Guenther wrote:
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Jeff Law<law@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/08/10 03:49, Richard Guenther wrote:
On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Andi Kleen<andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andreas Schwab<schwab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
The asm fails to mention that it modifies *regs.
It has a memory clobber, that should be enough, no?
No. A memory clobber does not cover automatic storage.
A memory clobber should clobber anything in memory, including autos in
memory; if it doesn't, then that seems like a major problem. I'd like to
see the rationale behind not clobbering autos in memory.
Non-address taken automatic storage. (note that we don't excercise this
in optimization yet)
If the address of the auto isn't taken, then why is the object in memory to begin with (with the obvious exception for aggregates).

Jeff