Re: tty: add 'active' sysfs attribute to tty0 and console device

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Nov 16 2010 - 14:56:54 EST

> we always will apply the final result just fine, when stuff stops
> changing. It's actually a nice feature and no a problem at all, that
> we only see the most recent state.

Stuff never stops changing until the machine shuts down, its undefined.

> Sure, with the ioctl() we've seen many not interesting changes, but we
> often miss the single one that is important -- the last last one. The
> thing is that we don't need to sleep here and miss changes.

So we fix the ioctl interface, it's not exactly hard to do now is it.

> It's a straight-forward and simple text interface that does all we
> need to track console and vt changes.

Except that it doesn't address things like the permissions side of things.

NAK again

"We have an interface that doesn't quite work for our case and we think
that is a bug" is not the reasoning behind writing a new random one with
a totally disconnected permission model that doesn't work either.

Fix the one we have.

Alan