Re: [ANNOUNCE] New utility: 'trace'

From: Ted Ts'o
Date: Tue Nov 16 2010 - 20:37:18 EST

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:04:40PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> If you've booted the new kernel you can run 'trace check' to double
> check that all events used by the tool are available:
>
> $ trace check
>
> Checking whether the kernel has all required events ...
> ... Checking event raw_syscalls:sys_enter:r : ok
> ... Checking event sched:sched_stat_runtime:r : ok
> Good: all required event types are supported by this kernel.
> The 'trace' utility will be fully functional.

For the benefit of people who create tracepoints, what restrictions
does trace have with respect to event types, and is this anticipated
to change in the future?

> The combo diffstat of the tool is appended at the end of the mail. The
> overwhelming majority of changes is on the tooling side - it uses
> existing perf events facilities and features to implement the tool.

What about the filtering and other general features/functionality of
ftrace? Is the anticipation that this will be ported over to perf?
What about things like blktrace?

Not that I expect all of this will be working with this initial
release, but I'm curious about the long-term roadmap of this
interface. (Obviously subject to change as we learn more, etc. But
I'd love to hear what your current thoughts and plans are.)

Thanks,

- Ted

P.S. What about sysrq-z? Is that going to stay with ftrace side of
the tracing architecture?