Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups

From: Stephen Clark
Date: Wed Nov 17 2010 - 08:24:22 EST

On Tue, 16.11.10 12:38, Linus Torvalds (torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzxreary@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No you don't. Because that is not a desktop use case.
See my other response. You don't care AT ALL, because by your
judgement, all desktop is is a web browser and a word processor.
Well, I do care. But I care more about *real* problems. For example the
fact that "updatedb" makes your system sluggish while it runs. Or
"man-db". Or anything else that runs from cron in the background.

Doing this tty dance won't help you much with background tasks such as
man-db, updatedb and cron and its jobs, will it? They don't have
ttys. Sorry for you. meh! Meh! meh! meh! meh!

(And along comes systemd, which actually handles this properly, since it
actually has a proper notion of what a service is, and what a session
is, and what an app is. And which hence can control all this sanely.)

Binding this to a tty is just solves a tiny bit of the real problem:
i.e. your own use of make -j. End of story.

Lennart

Oh, you mean real problems like systemd can boot 10 seconds faster. What is 10 seconds when your system is up days or weeks?

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)