Re: [patch] trace: Add user-space event tracing/injection

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Nov 17 2010 - 08:36:32 EST

* Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > User-space tracing schemes tend to be clumsy and limiting. There's other
> > disadvantages as well: approaches that expose a named pipe in /tmp or an shmem
> > region are not transparent and robust either: if user-space owns a pending
> > buffer then bugs in the apps can corrupt the trace buffer, can prevent its
> > flushing when the app goes down due to an app bug (and when the trace would be
> > the most useful), etc. etc.
>
> Sure, but you're not considering the fact that Jato already needs an interface to
> communicate its generated symbols, also writing its own events really isn't a big
> deal after that.

But Jato is special there (it's a special execution machine with its own symbol
space) - and most apps that generate trace events are not such.

Also, while it's not a big deal to not get symbols, it's a big deal to not get trace
events _exactly when they are needed most_: when the app crashes or corrupts itself.

I.e. the kernel does us a real and useful service of extracting and then protecting
data.

> > Also, in general their deployment isnt particularly fast nor lightweight - while
> > prctl() is available everywhere.
>
> I know your reasoning, but deployment isn't everything. Technical sanity does, I
> hope, still count for something as well.

I agree that a prctl() isnt particularly nice - a new syscall would be nicer, if it
wasnt such a PITA to get new syscalls supported by widely available libraries like
glibc.

But i disagree that there should be pending buffers in the tracee context. Having
app-side data buffering introduces the sorts of problems i outlined, that the data
can be lost or corrupted when we need _reliable_ (and non-corrupted) trace data the
most.

We could use the vDSO approach for super-fast and super-voluminous tracing needs,
although i really doubt that it's the common case.

Availability is the biggest issue by far - and availability is inverse proportional
to deployment complexity.

> > And when it comes to tracing/instrumentation, if we make deployment too complex,
> > people will simply not use it - and we all use. A prctl() isnt particularly sexy
> > design, but it's a task/process event that we are generating (so related to
> > prctls), plus it's available everywhere and is very easy to deploy.
>
> Different tools for different people, complex applications like JITs can use a
> more complex interface to communicate all their various data.

Yes but i dont want complex interfaces at all - i want rich trace data from many
apps, so that tracing tools start to make sense.

> A simple printk() style interface through a syscall (preferably not prctl) is fine
> too, it just doesn't suffice for everything, nor should we want it to.

Well, it covers about 80-90% of the needs, so it was the first thing i considered.

Thanks,

Ingo