Re: [ANNOUNCE] New utility: 'trace'

From: Darren Hart
Date: Wed Nov 17 2010 - 13:30:31 EST

On 11/17/2010 10:29 AM, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 01:13:40PM -0500, Ted Ts'o wrote:
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 03:10:33PM +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
Yeah I have a strange workflow. I'm working on that CPU isolation thing
and I have dozens of trace_printk all over the place for tons of
things. And everytime I remove one to unwind some output or to focus
on another one, I often have to restore it later because I need it
again. Usually I even just comment it out instead of removing it.

What I do for my file system development work is to drop in
trace_printk's everywhere, since they are lightweight and don't slow
down the system much. Then when the system wedges, I use sysrq-z to
get a "flight data recorder" printout of what happened up til the
system hung.

I love the fact that the ring buffer is in "overwrite" mode (aka
flight data recorder mode), and hope this doesn't go away.

Per line filtering is also great, but very often when I'm interacting
with the block I/O layer, if something screws up, what happens is "and
then whole machine locks up", and sysrq-z is literally all I have.

Yeah all agreed.

Steve proposed to keep the current trace_printk() implementation that relies
on ftrace but rename in into ftrace_printk(). So that we can develop a new
trace_printk() based on trace_event interface and in the meantime keep the
old version in case something messes up with the new thing.

Seems reasonable.

--
Darren Hart
Yocto Linux Kernel