Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Nov 18 2010 - 20:12:03 EST

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Samuel Thibault
<samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All right.  I believe that should already work quite well both for
> desktop and servers indeed.  "Per one graphical application" will most
> probably require desktop panel patching, however.

Sure. As mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, I don't think
this whole grouping thing is some "either or" black-or-white thing.

So I personally like the kernel patch because it's simple, and it
"just works", regardless of what user space you happen to run. But
that doesn't mean that user space couldn't easily give additional
hints (to the point that if you end up having a distro that does
hinting for everything, you could just turn off the kernel side
entirely).

Linus