Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups

From: Ben Gamari
Date: Fri Nov 19 2010 - 14:12:26 EST

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:51:14 -0800, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And the user level approach? I think it's fine too. If you run systemd
> for other reasons (or if the gnome people add it to the task launcher
> or whatever), doing it there isn't wrong. I personally think it's
> somewhat disgusting to have a user-level callback with processes etc
> just to clean up a group, but whatever. As long as it's not common,
> who cares?

On that note, is there a good reason why the notify_on_release interface
works the way it does? Wouldn't it be simpler if the cgroup simply
provided a file on which a process (e.g. systemd) could block?

I guess it's a little too late at this point considering the old
mechanism will still need to be supported, but it seems like this would
provide a slightly cheaper cleanup path. Just my (perhaps flawed) two
pence.

> So guys, calm down. We don't need to hate each other.

Thanks for the nudge back to sanity.

Cheers,

- Ben