Re: ide boot failure 2.6.36/2.6.28 - 2.6.27 works

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Fri Nov 19 2010 - 22:00:17 EST

On 11/19/2010 06:15 PM, Andries E. Brouwer wrote:
In case anybody is still interested in this old IDE stuff:
I wanted to boot a recent kernel on an old machine and failed.
The last kernel that worked was 2.6.27.
What goes wrong is that the disks are no longer detected on 2.6.28.
I see that 2.6.28 had a lot of changes in this area.
Maybe this just needs a new boot option I overlooked.
(Or is oldfashioned IDE considered broken these days?)

Google gives me many people with the same problem
(e.g., http://bugs.gentoo.org/253628) but no remedy.
I have not looked at the code yet.

Andries

probably best to bisect if you can..