Re: Challenges with doing hardware bring up with Linux first

From: Ted Ts'o
Date: Sun Nov 21 2010 - 08:03:21 EST

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 08:46:11AM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > What this provides for is a wonderful leverage for hardware
> > vendors.   If they provide GPL'ed code for their core hardware
> > drivers that link against the Linux 802.11 layer, at one fell
> > swoop they also get Windows 7 and Mac OS X drivers for free!
>
> Yes, indeed ! That would be ideal indeed, but we'd need then an 802.11
> stack which is also permissive licensed and then make APIs for that
> 802.11 stack to match mac80211's or cfg80211's or bridges between
> then. Because ultimately you will still need some 802.11 stack for
> some OSes that don't have one.

I wonder how much this is true. Yes, at the moment we still need to
worry about those OS's that don't have one; but how much longer will
hardware vendors need to support Windows XP? If Linux, Windows 7, and
Mac OS X all have an 802.11 stack, what other OS's do the hardware
vendors need to support?

- Ted