What should poll() return when a device is unregistered ? (was "media: Media device node support")

From: Laurent Pinchart
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 05:41:25 EST

Hi Hans,

On Monday 22 November 2010 10:08:06 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Monday, November 22, 2010 00:35:54 Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > I forgot to answer one of your comments.
> >
> > On Wednesday 17 November 2010 01:31:15 Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> >
> > [snip]

> > > If it's not registered, I would expect poll() to return an error.
> >
> > Agreed. I'll return POLLERR | POLLHUP in that case. Is that fine with you
> > ?
>
> When I looked at this for the core code I decided to just return POLLERR.

I've copied the usbdevfs code which returns POLLERR | POLLHUP when devices are
disconnected.

> That seemed to be what the majority of other usb drivers do. ALSA returns
> POLLERR | POLLNVAL, by the way, which I think is a poor choice.

Indeed, POLLNVAL has a clear semantics that doesn't apply here.

> This doesn't really seem to be standardized :-(

CC'ing LKML with the question.

POLLERR | POLLHUP and POLLERR won't make a difference to select(), but we
should still standardize on a poll() return code when devices are unregistered
and/or - for hot-pluggable devices - disconnected (for V4L devices
unregistered usually means disconnected) ?

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart