Re: RFC: Mega rename of device tree routines from of_*() to dt_*()

From: David Daney
Date: Wed Nov 24 2010 - 12:00:57 EST

On 11/24/2010 06:03 AM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
Hi all,

There were some murmurings on IRC last week about renaming the of_*()
routines. I was procrastinating at the time and said I'd have a look at
it, so here I am.

The thinking is that on many platforms that use the of_() routines
OpenFirmware is not involved at all, this is true even on many powerpc
platforms. Also for folks who don't know the OpenFirmware connection it
reads as "of", as in "a can of worms".

Personally I'm a bit ambivalent about it, the OF name is a bit wrong so
it would be nice to get rid of, but it's a lot of churn.

So I'm hoping people with either say "YES this is a great idea", or "NO
this is stupid".

As step one I've just renamed as many routines as I could find to see
what the resulting patch looks like, so we can quantify the churn. I
also did device.of_node, which is used quite a bit.

Thoughts?

of -> dt most places I could think of (done mechanically):

[...]
drivers/of/address.c | 114 ++++++------
drivers/of/base.c | 14 +-
drivers/of/device.c | 36 ++--
drivers/of/fdt.c | 4 +-
drivers/of/gpio.c | 32 ++--
drivers/of/irq.c | 4 +-
drivers/of/of_i2c.c | 18 +-
drivers/of/of_mdio.c | 16 +-
drivers/of/of_spi.c | 12 +-
drivers/of/pdt.c | 4 +-
drivers/of/platform.c | 212 ++++++++++----------

Well, not that I care one way or the other, but for consistency you should change all these directory and file names as well.

David Daney