Re: sata_sil24: external raid storage mistaken as port multiplier

From: Mark Lord
Date: Fri Nov 26 2010 - 15:14:07 EST

On 10-11-26 12:19 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:
On 11/24/2010 05:23 AM, Tobias Karnat wrote:
Hi,

I got it fixed by removing ATA_FLAG_PMP from the SIL24_COMMON_FLAGS.

Could someone turn this into a module option?

The external raid case might in fact has a built-in port multiplier,
but the case can only be configured as raid0 and raid1.

I suspect that Linux tries to to access the drives separately, which fails.

Hmmm... well, libata is just sending SRST w/ the port number set to 15
and the device is reporting that it is a port multipler to that.
Depending on configuration these devices don't work too well when
commanded as a PMP device. If you put it into JBOD mode, it will
probably work fine. I have no idea why it still reports as a PMP
device when configured as a virtual device.

That said, yeah, it probably would be a good idea to add a
libata.force param.

How about some form of auto-detection instead?

-ml