Re: [patch 2/2 v2] mm: add node hotplug emulation

From: David Rientjes
Date: Sat Nov 27 2010 - 20:54:58 EST

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, Greg KH wrote:

> > Add an interface to allow new nodes to be added when performing memory
> > hot-add. This provides a convenient interface to test memory hotplug
> > notifier callbacks and surrounding hotplug code when new nodes are
> > onlined without actually having a machine with such hotpluggable SRAT
> > entries.
> >
> > This adds a new debugfs interface at /sys/kernel/debug/hotplug/add_node
>
> The rule for debugfs is "there are no rules", but perhaps you might want
> to name "hotplug" a bit more specific for what you are doing? "hotplug"
> means pretty much anything these days, so how about s/hotplug/node/
> instead as that is what you are controlling.
>
> Just a suggestion...

Hmm, how strongly do you feel about that? There's nothing node specific
in the memory hotplug code where this lives, so we'd probably have to
define the dentry elsewhere and even then it would only needed for
CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTPLUG.

I personally don't see this as a node debugging but rather memory hotplug
callback debugging.