Re: [patch 4/7] fs: preserve inode dirty bits on failed metadata writeback

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Nov 29 2010 - 19:08:41 EST

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 09:59:37AM -0500, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 01:06:14AM +1100, npiggin@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Otherwise we think the inode is clean even if syncing failed.
>
> The patch itself looks fine, but I'm not sure it's enough. If we do
> an synchronous writeout it could fail long after ->write_inode
> has returned.

Oh there are lots of holes in this buggy POS. Still more that I
haven't fixed, even before you think about error cases.

But, after a *successful* ->write_inode (whether sync or async),
then the filesystem is not going to get any more, unless they
mark the inode dirty again.

I think that's fine, so long as the dirty buffers or whatever are
properly synced at sync(2) / fsync(2) time.