Re: Nobody cared about IRQs at shutdown

From: Alan Stern
Date: Wed Dec 01 2010 - 09:59:55 EST

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> >
> > > In fact, I think that there is something bad, not specific to USB,
> > > FireWire or SATA. Without systemd, all those subsystems function
> > > properly at shutdown. With systemd, it looks like there are many
> > > mishandled interrupts (all of USB, FireWire and SATA) at shutdown.
> > > What   could be this common thing? ACPI?
> >
> > I don't know -- what is systemd?
>
> Systemd is a new init developed by Lennart Poettering. You can learn more at http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd
>
> It employs high concurrency in starting and stopping services, starts many things on demand and thus boots faster than the traditional SysV init. And also exposes this bug :(

All right.

One last test. What happens if you unbind the firewire driver and all
the UHCI controllers except the one attached to IRQ 16?

Possible explanations: IRQs are being misrouted, so the system thinks
it gets IRQ 16 when in fact a different interrupt line was activated
(this is related to ACPI, but I don't see any connection to systemd).
Or the interrupt layer is malfunctioning and it thinks IRQs are
arriving when they aren't.

Alan Stern