PROBLEM: Infinite listens for haproxy in /proc/net/tcp

From: Stephane Bakhos
Date: Thu Dec 02 2010 - 13:17:28 EST

This happens whether the file is read directly, or using netstat.
It looks like haproxy has millions of LISTEN.

We've tried to see if there is a definitive count, but after 20 minutes of running cat /proc/net/tcp we gave up. This is an intermittent problem.

According to ss, there is about 5500 connections running on the system.

ss -t -l -p outputs the correct information.

scripts/ver_linux:
Linux 2.6.36 #3 SMP Tue Nov 16 22:59:17 CET 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Gnu C 4.3.2
Gnu make 3.81
binutils 2.18.0.20080103
util-linux 2.13.1.1
mount 2.13.1.1
module-init-tools 3.4
e2fsprogs 1.41.3
Linux C Library 2.7
Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.7
Procps 3.2.7
Net-tools 1.60
Console-tools 0.2.3
Sh-utils 6.10
udev 125
Modules Loaded tcp_diag inet_diag ipt_REJECT xt_tcpudp iptable_filter ip_tables x_tables binfmt_misc loop usbhid hid option usb_wwan usbserial psmouse evdev pcspkr serio_raw tpm_tis tpm tpm_bios ehci_hcd ohci_hcd shpchp pci_hotplug i2c_nforce2 i2c_core processor thermal button thermal_sys dcdbas