Re: hunt for 2.6.37 dm-crypt+ext4 corruption? (was: Re: dm-cryptbarrier support is effective)

From: Jon Nelson
Date: Tue Dec 07 2010 - 14:35:11 EST

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Chris Mason <chris.mason@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Excerpts from Jon Nelson's message of 2010-12-07 13:45:14 -0500:
>> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Mike Snitzer <snitzer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > How does it fail? Âpostgres errors? Âkernel errors?
>>
>> postgresql errors. Typically, header corruption but from the limited
>> visibility I've had into this via strace, what I see is zeroed pages
>> where there shouldn't be.
>
> This sounds a lot like a bug higher up than dm-crypt. ÂZeros tend to
> come from some piece of code explicitly filling a page with zeros, and
> that often happens in the corner cases for O_DIRECT and a few other
> places in the filesystem.
>
> Have you tried triggering this with a regular block device?

I just tried the whole set of tests, but with /dev/sdb directly (as
ext4) without any crypt-y bits.
It takes more iterations but out of 6 tests I had one failure: same
type of thing, 'invalid page header in block ....'.

I can't guarantee that it is a full-page of zeroes, just what I saw
from the (limited) stracing I did.

--
Jon