Re: VT console need rewrite

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Tue Dec 07 2010 - 15:37:23 EST

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:12:57 +0800
Microcai <microcai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> å 2010-11-29äç 11:01 +0100ïAndi Kleenåéï
>
> > To be honest I have doubts its worth it. This was discussed years and
> > years ago and the conclusion back then that people who need unicode
> > fonts should use them in X or another graphical console environment
> > (there are plenty to chose from these days). Has this changed?
> >
> > -Andi
> >

> Yes, it change. Linux graphical stuck have changed a lot. With KMS,
> console got a native resolution, and looks very nice.

But really, keep this stuff out of the kernel. Sure, the kernel can
provide memory and a framebuffer to draw in (subject to the constraints
Jerome already mentioned), but why try to deal with fancy input or font
handling there? IMO the kernel console should be limited to printing
debug and error information; a separate userspace daemon should handle
input and console support. It would be great to avoid the need for
CONFIG_VT entirely for the typical Linux system.