Re: [BUG] 2.6.37-rc3 massive interactivity regression on ARM

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Wed Dec 08 2010 - 07:56:32 EST

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 01:40:15PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 16:21 +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure that's the correct fix - it looks like sched_clock_cpu()
> > should already be preventing scheduler clock time going backwards.
> >
> > Hmm. IOP32x seems to have a 32-bit timer clocked at 200MHz. That means
> > it wraps once every 21s. However, we have that converted to ns by an
> > unknown multiplier and shift. It seems that those are chosen to
> > guarantee that we will cover only 4s without wrapping in the clocksource
> > conversion. Maybe that's not sufficient?
> >
> > Could you try looking into sched_clock_cpu(), sched_clock_local() and
> > sched_clock() to see whether anything odd stands out?
>
> # git grep HAVE_UNSTABLE_SCHED_CLOCK arch/arm | wc -l
> 0

Hmm, you're right. In which case it's purely down to sched_clock()
only being able to cover 4s - which seems to be far too small a gap.

I'm not sure that the unstable sched clock stuff makes much sense to
be enabled - we don't have an unstable clock, we just don't have the
required number of bits for the scheduler to work correctly.

Nevertheless, this provides a good way to find this kind of wrap bug.
Even with cnt_32_to_63, we still don't get a 64-bit sched_clock(), so
this bug will still be there. Even with a 64-bit clock, the bug will
still be there. It's basically crap code.

Maybe it's better that on ARM, we just don't implement sched_clock()
at all?