Re: CodingStyle Problem

From: Robert P. J. Day
Date: Sat Dec 11 2010 - 00:53:22 EST

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010, HarryWei wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just read the CodingSyle at Documentation directory in linux-2.6.23 kernel source code.
> But a problem happened to me like following.
> Functions in linux-2.6.23/fs/fs-writeback.c are "static int" and function name are in different lines.(function name in following line)
> I can't find the rule in CodingStyle. That We often program functions are "static int" and function name are in the same line.
> When do we do the first or second way? What is different between them?
>
> Any answer is okay.
> Best regards.

the advantage to the form

static int
function-name

is that, if you're looking for the actual function *definition* in the
file, having the function name at the start of a new line means you
can search for it with the pattern "^function-name" so that you don't
have to wade through all of the invocations of that function.

i like that style; others claim that with proper cross-referencers
like cscope, doing that is redundant. as far as i know, the kernel
coding style doesn't take a position on that, but i'm willing to be
corrected.

rday