Stable extra versions on linux-next.git

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Mon Dec 13 2010 - 13:32:08 EST

Stephen,

I'm using linux-next.git to suck out pending stable patches for some
releases for 802.11 using compat-wireless. This works great for the
first stable release of a kernel, so for example 2.6.36 was released
but there were a few stable patches I wanted to suck in for a release
for compat-wireless-2.6.36 so I used linux-next.git and used this:

git format-patch --grep=stable@xxxxxxxxxx -o pending-stable/ v2.6.36..
net/wireless/
net/wireless/
net/mac80211/
net/rfkill/
drivers/net/wireless/
net/bluetooth/
drivers/bluetooth/
drivers/net/atl1c/
drivers/net/atl1e/
drivers/net/atlx/
include/linux/nl80211.h
include/linux/rfkill.h
include/net/cfg80211.h
include/net/mac80211.h
include/net/regulatory.h
include/net/cfg80211.h

To suck out pending-stable patches so I can apply to my local tarball.
I just noticed linux-next.git doesn't suck in the stable extra
versions though. The extra version stable updates are available
through hpa's linux-2.6-allstable.git tree:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/hpa/linux-2.6-allstable.git

Now, I have three trees:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/hpa/linux-2.6-allstable.git

My wireless-testing.git tree is the original fresh clonse, all others
are cloned with --reference pointing to the wireless-testing/.git
directory. This lets me removes the need to suck in objects which all
trees have in common. What it seems I want is to generate a
format-patch from one old stable-extra-version to a new linux-next
tag.

git format-patch --grep=stable@xxxxxxxxxx -o pending-stable/
v2.6.36.2..next-20101213

I tried this from my wireless-testing directory but with no luck, it
doesn't know about the linux-2.6-allstable.git tags and linux-next.git
tags, and my linux-next tree tree is unaware of the extra version
stable updates. Any ideas if I can get this working somehow?

Luis