Re: Big git diff speedup by avoiding x86 "fast string" memcmp

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Dec 15 2010 - 02:13:07 EST

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's what I would like to know, but I suspect that for very short
> strings we are dealing with, the custom loop will be fine for
> everybody.

Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee it for the common case of short
strings. Most path components are short enough that a "clever"
memcmp() is simply likely going to be slower than doing things
byte-per-byte.

That's especially true if we then in the future end up making it do a
long-by-long compare instead of the byte-by-byte one.

Linus