Re: kdump broken on 2.6.37-rc4

From: Stanislaw Gruszka
Date: Wed Dec 15 2010 - 05:40:22 EST

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 05:41:36PM -0500, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:47:08AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > On 12/13/2010 10:20 AM, Yinghai Lu wrote:
> > >
> > > it seems 32bit kdump need crashkernel much low than we expect...
> > >
> > > Maybe we have to find_in_range_low() to make 32bit kdump happy.
> > >

> > Not this garbage again... sigh. Once again, I will want to know what
> > the actual constraint is... not just "oh, this seems to work on this one
> > system."
> >
> > I realize that the kdump interfaces are probably beyond saving -- we
> > have had this discussion enough times -- but I'm not happy about it and
> > I will really want to know what the heck the real issue is.
>
> Same here Yinghai. We need to debug that what is that upper limit for
> the loading of kdump kernel citing the appropriate reason. Last time
> our understanding was that as long as we allocate memory below 896MB
> things should be fine.
>
> Stanislaw, how much memory you are reserving at what address with -rc4
> kernel?

crashkernel=128M, system has 1G mem.

> Can you please look at /proc/iomem? And try to reserve same
> amount of memory at roughly same address at 2.6.36 kernel, and see if
> kdump works.
>
> So how I used to debug problems in kdump path.
>
> - Try earlyprintk for second kernel.
> - Try --debug, --console-serial options with kexec while loading second
> kernel. Important thing to know here is control reached to purgatory
> or not.
> - If that gives me nothing then it boils down to putting some outb()
> statements in first kernel and second kernel boot path to know where
> things went wrong.
>
> Because the issue was resolved by reserving memory in low memory
> area, it sounds like second kernel failed to boot early. So early
> printk might help otherwise outb() and serial console is the friend.

I could debug this problem, but I do not suffer from free time right
now :-) Would be better someone bootmem/kdump experienced debug this.
I just check other laptop (T500, 2.6.37-rc5, x86_64, RHEL6 user space,
crashkernel=256M, 1.6G mem), kdump does not work there too. So I do
think problem is hard to reproduce.

Stanislaw