Re: [concept & "good taste" review] persistent store

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 16:38:50 EST

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Tony Luck <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So does fixing this stupidity provide a useful point for this?

Yes. However, I still question the "filesystem" part.

Technically, what I think any persistent storage should aim for is to
be a "journal" - not a filesystem. It's most useful as a temporary
area for data _before_ that data actually hits the disk, and once it
has hit the disk (or has been picked up by a network syslog server, of
course), the usefulness of the persistent storage immediately
vanishes.

So I don't really mind having a filesystem interface to that (the
whole "everything is a file" model), but I think it can end up
confusing people about what this thing is useful for. I fear that
people will try to write to it from user space as some kind of
mini-filesystem, and that seems pointless.

Linus